Saturday, February 26, 2005

A Bit Different from the Norm

I know it has been a few days, but I wanted to wait until payday. It just so happened I got a nice, late birthday card with some green in it as well. So, I decided to try a local wine store I hadn't been to. It was pretty good. Decent selection, better than the small carryouts you see. I grabbed 5 bottles, that way I have some ready to roll.

As you will see, I will try to review a bunch of varieties, as well as a bunch of different labels. Some of the varieties will be common, and some will be new to both you and I.

This review is for a type you may not have heard of before. It was the house wine at an Italian place in Georgetown that my old roommate and I went to. It became a favorite of mine very quickly. As you can guess, it is an Italian variety - Montepulciano D'Abruzzo.

Wine #3 - 2001 Belmondo Montepulciano - Calmasino, Italy

This has a light aroma. It just kind of smells like a red wine, nothing special. The finish is super fast and fairly dry. The taste is not very fruity, but you get a hint of oak. The longer you let it breathe, the more fruity and less oaky it gets. This is a very light wine overall. It is a DOC, which is like the silver medal type of Italian wines. Italian government designates regions that are tops for what grapes they produce.

If you are looking for a very light, somewhat watery, but still tasty wine, this will work. I suggest letting it breathe for a while before drinking. If you want to impress a date, order this variety which most folks have never tried.

PS - I snagged this bottle for $6.09.

No comments: