Wednesday, February 23, 2005

What a night!

So, I thought I would break into a new bottle tonight, but wasn't sure when. My dinner of chicken nuggets really didn't call for a nice wine. I started watching TV when I heard the sink or washing machine making a little noise. Only I hadn't used either in a while. Drip, drip, drip...it started to be more consistent.

Turns out, my neighbors above me flooded their washing machine and it started to leak through my ceiling light fixture. Water just came through and kept on coming. Luckily, it didn't do any real damage to my kitchen.

Needless to say, it was time to break into a bottle.

Wine #2 - 1998 Mourvedre - Horton Winery - Orange County, VA

This is the only Mourvedre that I know of, but that isn't saying too much. I looked it up, and it is a grape grown primarily in France and Spain near the Mediterranean Sea. However, this wine comes from Virginia, where I called home for a year. I first found it at the DC Wine Expo in 2001.

This wine has a very subtle bouquet, nice and light. The taste follows that pattern too. Very light, with a woody, fruity flavor. The finish is more fruity than woody. Overall, this is a nice light red. I would even suggest drinking it a little chilled. It takes a bit of the bite out of it, without losing too much flavor.

I now have the floor mopped up and am enjoying glass #2.

No comments: