Thursday, March 10, 2005

Frankie Says Relax

The wife and I are going to the DC Wine Expo this weekend, which I may or may not have mentioned. I am hoping to taste some new, great wines that I can share with you here. My wife's favorite wine is a Riesling. So, I like to get new ones to see if she can find an absolute favorite. She has one now, but that can always change. This one I nabbed because of the clever name.

Wine #6 - 2003 Relax Riesling - Schmitt Sohne, Germany.

This Riesling is a little different than what I am used to. The first sip I took had relatively no aroma. The usual fruity, sweet flavor of a Riesling was quite short. I am used to a longer finish and a much sweeter taste. After a while, the aroma got a little stronger, and the finish a little longer. It does have a typical apple flavor that many Rieslings have. But I must say, it is a bit drier than most. The initial flavor is not dry, but it dissipates quickly.

In terms of recommendations, it is a tough call. If you like really sweet wines, I would pick a different one. If you want something just a touch sweeter than a Chardonnay, I would go for it.

Cost - $7.65.

Bottom line: Frankie says relax. So have a glass or two and enjoy.

No comments: