Monday, March 28, 2005

Happy Easter

I hope everyone had a great Easter. I got to spend time with my extended family, so that was very nice. Tonight, we had a pork tenderloin marinated in a peppercorn dressing. It was great. So the wine choice became clear: A nice spicy red.

Wine #10 - 2002 Thierry and Guy Fat Bastard Shiraz- Fat Bastard Wine Company, France.

Yes, I bought it because of its name. And the fact that it was $8.99.

At the wine class, we learned the 20 minute rule: Pull a white out of the fridge 20 minutes before you want to serve it, put a red in for 20, then open and serve. So, I put in the wine for 20 minutes to get it the right temperature. This wine had a fairly light aroma, a little spicy and a little fruity. The taste matches up fairly well. I got more fruit in the taste when I had it with the pork. The finish is short with not a whole lot of action. This wine is fairly easy drinking. Not a bad wine to pair up with food, but I am not sure I would want to drink several glasses without a meal.

I had a glass of Blackwing from last week to compare. My initial review holds true. To be honest, the aroma kills it before you even take a sip. I would choose Fat Bastard over Blackwing without hesitation.

No comments: