Monday, March 07, 2005

A Nice Surprise

Monday's are never good for much, but trying a new wine is a perfect Monday activity. So, tonight I cracked open a bottle from my birthday stash.

Wine #5 - 2000 Piccini Chianti Riserva - Piccini S.N.L. - Italy.

The first thing you notice is the very fruity aroma. It is a little cherry or plum-like. As far as wine goes, this one smells great. Your first taste gives you a hint of that fruit, but the finish is quick. Although the finish is quick, I wouldn't necessarily call it dry. You get a little flavor to stick around.

My favorite Chianti is a Ruffino Classico Riserva. However, this wine is like $30 a bottle, so I don't drink it often. I have a bottle that I got for Christmas, and I am sincerely thinking of opening it just to compare it to this one. This wine is top notch for a low priced wine. I don't want to call it cheap, because that could imply something negative. Remember when I talked about the Italian wine region rankings? This one is DOCG - a.k.a. the best.

Nothing negative to say here.

PS - only $8.55

No comments: